Request Appointment
View Hours
410-360-7297

Xylitol… its sweet, delicious, and everywhere!

Author: Calvert Veterinary Center Staff


Xylitol is a sweetener that although safe for people is highly toxic to dogs.  The first thing most of us think of when we hear of Xylitol is of sugar free gum and candies, however, gum and candy are not the only products to be concerned about.  Xylitol has about the sweetness as sucrose, while having a low glycemic index which makes it ideal for diabetics. 

Now we are seeing Xylitol in many sugar-free products including gum, candy, peanut butter, protein bars, weight loss products, as well as in toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss and oral rinses. 
When in doubt the ingredient list should be closely examined to determine whether or not xylitol is present.  Xylitol will be added to the main ingredient list in food type products, but may be in the inactive ingredients section for medications and supplements. 

If you feel that your pet may have eaten a product containing Xylitol please contact us to have one of our veterinarians determine if Animal Poison Control’s 24-hour hotline 1-888-426-4435, should be contacted to determine the dose your pet may have received. Based on the amount of Xylitol your pet has received treatments can be made, such as blood glucose monitoring, IV fluids, monitoring, etc.

Contact Us

We would love to hear from you!

Come See Us
Enter your name
Enter your email address.
Subscribe to our Newsletter?

Thank you! Your submission has been received!

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form :(